- Temperature 6° overcast + foggy
- Icknield Way between Britwell Salome and Aston Rowant closed to vehicular traffic until summer 2005, but the old road cuts North West from Aston Rowant and continues to Chinnor where it becomes the B4009
- Spent hours on the boggy section South of the B4445
- Three lovely deep fords. First just a straightforward wet dip, the second small, but very technical with a bend and a difficult climb out of the sandy bed (almost visited neighbouring field but got the gas off in time and avoided large block of concrete farmer had placed at exit) and the third a bloody massive pool. I couldn't walk this third one as water was getting in my boots. In the end I leaned off the footbridge and shoved a stick in the water. Deep but definitely doable:-)
- GS in muddy bog to the axles (sump-guard skiing?) negotiating tractor tracks. Almost binned it several times but stayed upright all day. Quite a bit of embarrassing paddling in the deep mud, but by the end of the day I was gliding the beast around in the slick standing on the pegs. After the final gate couldn't resist whacking the gas full-on and got lots of lovely mud everywhere.
- I was worried about the front fender filling up (mud gets wedged between the GS's low fender which locks the front wheel) but in the end the mud sort of leveled off and it never got too bad.
Apparently there is an acknowledged syndrome called PEAD—pre-election anxiety disorder—the fear that one’s vote will not count. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was sweeping the nation. With all the shenanigans going on to interfere with the democratic process, in any just world, Bush and his band of merry men would be found guilty of vote tampering and slammed in irons. The fact that there are teams of lawyers revving themselves up to challenge any result they don’t like—let alone voters on their way to cast their votes—it is nothing short of intimidation.
So CLF was wearing her mommy wants a new president teeshirt today at the toddler playgym and a couple of people commented negatively. One said, “what has George W Bush done to your daughter” and Nicki practically spat her breakfast. Just for the record, CLF wears the shirt (at least in part) because
You know, my dad, Jed, has for most of his long life been a master with a pair of scissors.